Sunday, April 27, 2008

Were Back....

Hello…It has been some time since the last post. Since then we have been up to a few activities.

On Saturday the 19th we went the Current sponsored “Fakebook” with Chuck D at the Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul. To start off the night we went to the newly opened Supatra Thai Cuisine on west 7th in Saint Paul. At first sight of the place I was pretty excited but unfortunately, that is were the story ends. The food was pretty sub-par, the atmosphere was not very inviting and the service was not very good. So what all that means is that I won’t be back. Sorry…Supatra.
Off to the show. I was pretty excited to see Chuck D interviewed by the Current’s own, Marie Lucia. I remember seeing Chuck D. perform with Public Enemy in 1992 as an opening act for U2’s Zooropa tour at Camp Randall in Madison. If I close my eyes I can still see Chuck and Flavor Flav (clock necklace and all) jumping around on stage singing…”Bring the Noise!”
What I took from the interview was how friendly and genuine he was. In addition, it was interesting to hear his opinion on different topics. He stated how the hip hop scene has changed since he first started in the mid 80’s. He mentioned that 20 years ago many of performers of the day would leave the persona they portrayed on stage and live normal lives after the show. Unfortunately that isn’t the case today.
In addition to hearing Chuck D. speak there were several musical performances from Brother Ali and Slug from Atmosphere. I enjoyed both of them. It was a good night.

Thursday the 23rd we started off the night by supporting the Dining Out for Life benefit for AIDS and choosing a restaurant from the participating list. We picked Tam Tam’s African Restaurant on Riversides Avenue in Minneapolis for dinner. I enjoy African cuisine. First you get to eat with your hands, the food is bright in color and flavorful, and it is served on injera bread. Yum. If any of characteristics of African cuisine sound intriguing, go there you will like it.

After dinner is was off to the Southern Theater to see the 25th Anniversary performance of Zenon Dance Company. This is the fourth time I have seen the company perform, of the four this was the most interesting. During the show there were five different performances. To me they seemed to be very contemporary approach to portraying emotions and the way individuals handle them thru dance. It was fun to see one of the founding members, Christine Maginnis (we know her!) perform. She is a very talented individual and a great dancer. It was a fun night.

Saturday the 26th. We went to the Cloud Cult CD release party at First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. What a great show! This is the first time I have seen them perform indoors and I am glad I went. Cloud Cult put on a wonderful show to a packed house at First Avenue. They had awesome stage presence, sounded great, created beautiful art work (it is painted on stage during the show), and visuals. They played songs from the past and present and they sounded much like they sound on the albums. If you are not a fan become one. I am sure that they will pull at the emotional string in your heart.