Friday, April 18, 2008

"Passing Thru"

When I was younger my Dad and I would go duck hunting. In the process of hunting there was a lot of time to identify other winged animals. Over the course of time, I was able to identify many different types of waterfowl and remember their migration patterns. This learned and appreciated knowledge is still with me, today.
I can tell when the time of change is in the air. Yesterday afternoon, I was running in the area of Lake Phalen and where the ice on the lake had melted. There were many different species of waterfowl, swimming about. I was able to identify: Loons, Mergansers, Grebes, Great Blue Herons, Buffleheads, and even Pelicans. It was awesome! The only way it could had been any better, is if I had my camera with me.
It was great to be an observer to see and hear all the different sites and sounds of the waterfowl. In addition, I was so excited because of the uniqueness of it all. As I have learned many of these waterfowl were just “passing thru” to their final destination in northern Canada or the Artic Circle. So this is a rare opportunity to see all these species in one place at one time.
Also on a similar note...I am pretty sure that it is an indication that Spring has officially begun. Enjoy!

No comments: