Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Slay a Dragon?

Sunday is the day…I slay a dragon. One year ago, I started the Twin Cities Marathon but didn’t finish. I made it to mile 21 before a hip injury made me call it a day. Since that time about 360 days have passed and in those passing days, I have learned a lot.

I have learned that you need to practice being patient.

Last year, I tried to hold on the fitness from the failed marathon and that became a big problem that affected me on several different plateaus. The obvious is running, but not being able to participate in my favorite activity (running) and walking around in discomfort clouded my mind with frustration that trickled in to my personal and professional life. To basically put it, I was in the middle of hell last winter.

After a time off running, a MRI, rehab, strength training, cross-training, and cortisone shot, I am back to running consistently. I spent the past spring getting my fitness back, followed by building my confidence this past summer with key workouts and long runs. With these elements combined, I am hoping for good things come Sunday morning.

As I think about last years TCM. I wonder if….I would have been patient sooner then later, and took time off from running. Would things be different? Maybe?

Regardless of the outcome from last year, it is behind me and I have become a different runner, today. I have become a stronger runner both mentally and physically. I have strengthened my weak points (bad hip is gone) and I have become stronger by training harder then before. But more importantly to anything, I reintroduced the enjoyment to running. It took an injury and forced time off to remind me why I first started running: to loose weight and to get outside more.

Since that first run, ten years ago, I have lost 30 pounds and I developed a new life long activity. More importantly I discovered that running has influenced my life in many ways and gotten me through some difficult times. Today my reason for running is different…I enjoy the movement of my body, the way I think, look, and having tangible goals to meet that involve running. I continue to enjoy being outside and face any conditions that mother nature can dish out.

Come Sunday the 26.2 long dragon is going down! It has taken me one year to get back to where I am today. The most important goal for the TCM is to finish. The plan to get to the finish line is to be patient and let the race come to me. I am going to try the best I can and respect myself for doing so. I have enjoyed the journey so much to get to this point and I hope that the destination is even more rewarding!

Look for me mid-morning on Sunday at the finish line. I’ll be easy to find, I will be the with the dragon’s head on a stick!

1 comment:

Mark H. said...

"The plan to get to the finish line is to be patient and let the race come to me."

I'm very glad I read that line as it will help me run 'my' race on Sunday.

Good luck! I can already visualize that Dragon head on a stick.

--Mark (friend of Tracy)