Monday, February 25, 2008

Almost March -- can't wait for spring

Well, it's almost March -- a month I typically look forward to because it usually brings big changes in terms of weather and seasons, which for me are welcomed changes! Usually by the point I'm excited for the warmer weather because I've been running outside in the frigid temps for months. The year's been a bit different as I work my way back from injury and from various setbacks, so my outlook on winter hasn't been quite as harsh simply because I've been spending a lot more time inside than I usually do. Granted, it isn't for the reasons I'd like it to be, but it hasn't been so bad and I don't feel quite as maniacal about the weather when it gets cold l do when I'm running a lot. So I guess that's not so bad.

This year I'm really looking forward to March because we're going to Daytona Beach March 16 through March 21. I can't wait for warm temps, seafood dinners and naps on the beach. And a break from work! I'm hoping that my current pains are brief andthat I can be back on the path to running again very soon so I can truly enjoy Daytona. There's nothing like exploring an area on foot (I prefer running to walking). First item of business to make this happen: rid ourselves of our respective injuries!

Last spring we went to Clearwater Beach, which was just about a dream trip in every aspect. I was training for Boston at the time and was able to continue that on vacation, which actually wasn't a chore thanks to beautiful surroundings and great weather. Our typical days there consisted of waking up, running along the beach, coming back for coffee and breakfast at the hotel, putting on our suits and walking a couple blocks to the beach, and napping/relaxing in the sand for the afternoon. Then, around 4 p.m. or so, we'd head back to the hotel, get cleaned up and go to dinner. We went to this awesome seafood buffet two nights in a row and stuffed our faces on the freshest seafood. It didn't dawn on me why my legs got heavier throughout the trip and I felt more and more fatigued while running, despite all the napping and relaxing, until Derek reminded me of our protein-exclusive meals. Ahhh, yes. Hard to save room for those carbs when you're loving the seafood!

I'm hoping Daytona Beach surpasses the lofty standards and enjoyable experiences of last year's Clearwater trip. I can't wait for it.

No comments: