Monday, December 17, 2007

Holiday Weekend...

It was a great weekend! My parents came down to visit, as well as to attend the the musical, "Don't hug me on Christmas."
First things first....the logistics. My parents stayed in the Hilton in downtown Minneapolis (I always forget that there are nice motels here in town.) It was the typical upscale motel in a great location (with even a beautiful fitness center).
We went to Masa to eat dinner. This was my first time there...my thoughts were that it is a very beautiful, contemporary style restaurant that has great service with average food. (Would I go there again....yes). While we were eating we were able to watch portions of the holidazzle parade that was taking place outside.
Off to the musical..."Don't hug me on Christmas" was being performed in the Hennipen Stages Theater. This was a night of firsts because I had never been to this venue. It was very intimate setting with about 200 seats and a small stage in the front for the performers. The premise of the musical is this....it takes place in Bunyan Bay, Minnesota, on Christmas Eve. Cantankerous bar owner Gunner Johnson gets in an argument with his wife, Clara, tells her he's skipping Christmas, storms out, goes snowmobiling across the lake, falls through the ice on his skidoo and goes into a coma. He then comes back in his dream where he's visited by the folk legend, Sven Yorgensen, who plays the ghost of Christmas past, present, and future. Sven takes Gunner (Scrooge) on a journey similar to that in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
It was a fun filled show with plenty of slapstick humor to put you in a good mood. If you haven't seen it I would recommend it, especially if you are not a fan of the traditional Christmas shows.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

It is so great to see two people like yourselves find each other. I am proud to live where I live and know who I know !! Happy Holidays and I can't wait to start out 2008 with my friends like you all.