Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's been awhile....

Hello....It has been awhile since the last post. We have been kind of in between events, but no fear we have attended two events the last couple of days. The first being the Baniff Mountain Film Festival held in conjunction with the Midwest Mountaineering Expo. The second being Tu Dance held at the O'Shaughnessy, on the St. Kate's campus.

My impression of both events was that they were good, but not great. Maybe it is that I have had more exposure to independent films and dance performances then in the past, which has made my expectations to get higher.

Lets start with the Baniff Mountain Film Festival...I enjoy everything wild that planet earth has to offer. I have spent countless hours exploring and experiencing what it has to offer. I equally enjoy hearing about other people's experiences, travels, and rites of passage. But what I don't like is a human highlight film with the best thing being the music and possibly the scenery. This was the case of 3 of the 5 films, I saw on Friday night.

I have seen enough films that show a few individuals who have the economical background or have solicited a major sponsor to endorse a fun filled trip. Many of these individuals have shrugged off human responsibility and have followed their dreams. Good for them. Keep doing what you are doing, in fact call me I would love to join you.

But, when it comes to documenting your trip. Create a film by introducing a storyline, instead of having highlight shots of an epic ski run down a mountain face or an interview of a trip member saying, "You need to respect the mountain...." or "...that was crazy sick...." It has all been done before.

Of the two films I liked, they both had a storyline. They had the human element. The first one was about a female BASE jumper who was addicted to the sport and couldn't stop until she crashed landed into a tree breaking both her legs. Even after multiple surgeries and several years after the accident, she still can barely walk. The entire film had a sick uneasy feeling that something bad was going to happen. It was like watching a slow motion train wreck.

The second film was the shortest. It was about a band, the Black Eyed Snakes, who traveled from Duluth to Colorado for a music tour and Nordic skied along the way. It was simple, non pretentious, showed the enjoyment of the sport, and was entertaining to watch.

Saturday.......Off to dance. Tu Dance is a great company. I have heard about them from Tracy and I know she really enjoys seeing them perform. As well as respects the athletic and artistic talent that the dancers have. After seeing them, I agree they are very gifted individuals and I enjoyed seeing their show. Of the five pieces, my favorite was a very contemporary, abstract piece that had a woman bound by elastic bands who was being pulled in and out of the spotlight by her fellow dancers. Beautiful....


My take on the entire show. I would have enjoyed it even more if the other pieces performed were more of the abstract bazaar style of dance rather then the traditional style. I am aware that there were a lot of technical dance moves being performed. But, I personally enjoy more stimulus from the overall production of the dancing and not the technical side. But that is just my opinion.

No comments: