Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Hotel Cafe Tour.

If you haven’t gone to the Fine Line Café in Minneapolis to see a show, I suggest that you go. Here is what you need to do. Fine a band you would like to see in an intimate setting, arrive early so you can get a spot close to the stage, and enjoy.

That is exactly what Tracy and I did on Monday night. Even with the snow fall it didn’t deter people who the packed house to see Dan Wilson, Ingrid Michaelson, Joshua Radin, Cary Brothers, and Meiko. They were in support of the Hotel Café tour.

The way the show played out was that all the musicians played 3 songs each and then would switch. Each of the musicians played 2 sets with some overlap of sharing the stage for a song or two. All the musicians were great, but in my opinion Dan Wilson stole the show. He sang songs from his new “Free Life” album, Semisonic and even a cover from John Denver (Annie’s Song). The other musicians were good, but many of the songs I had never heard them before. Regardless of not hearing many of the songs I enjoy all the music. Here is what I thought of the different artists:

I was impressed by Ingrid Michaelson range in her voice, sweet sounding lyrics and her witty humor. Joshua Radin had a relaxing, smooth, sensible sounding voice that would be perfect for any Sunday morning. The Cary Brothers for their jamming, rocking out style and stick to your guns attitude. Meiko had an interesting sounding voice, good guitar skills but seemed a little nervous in front of a large crowd.

Take it or leave it that is what I thought….

No comments: